- About Us
- Sex Workers
In 1979, the decriminalisation of sex work in New South Wales (NSW) Australia recognised sex work as a lawful occupation. The Sex Industry has a wealth of practical knowledge in dealing with a wide range of sexual issues and has the right to be respected and consulted as the primary stakeholders in any matters relating to the provision of sexual services in NSW. As the initiators of the Touching Base Project, sex workers in NSW are actively pursuing this right.
People with a disability have an intrinsic right to sexual expression. This right enables people to develop relationships, have sex, explore and express their sexuality and achieve intimacy without personal or systemic barriers. Furthermore, necessary personal and systemic supports must be provided for the expression of this right.
As part of a commitment to supporting such rights, Touching Base NSW aims to:
- Facilitate the links between people with a disability, their support organisations and the Sex Industry;
- Encourage information sharing and educational training programs for sex workers, people with a disability and their carers; and
- Raise the public and professional awareness of the issues surrounding the access and provision of Sex Industry services for people with a disability.
Our Committee of Management
The Touching Base Inc Committee of Management is made up of individuals (people with disability and sex workers) as well as representatives from organisations. The following organisations regularly attend our monthly meetings or contribute in-kind assistance and/or resources to support the ongoing activities of Touching Base:
- People with Disability Australia Inc
- Family Planning NSW
- The Cerebral Palsy Alliance (formerly The Spastic Centre)
- Clinic 16 (Sexual Health Clinic) North Shore Hospital
- Multiple Sclerosis (ACT/NSW/VIC)
Membership of Touching Base
By becoming a member of Touching Base Inc, individuals and organisations can actively support our work and advocacy for sexual rights.
Scarlet Road Documentary
For comments and media feedback go towww.scarletroad.com.au Paradigm Pictures are generously donating 25% of all DVD profits to Touching Base
Policy and Procedural Guide
For accessible versions of this guide, please contact us.
Our website is dedicated to the memory of Bill Rigney, who was inspirational and instrumental in the development of this website.